Bendigo Photo Shoot

Some images from a recent photo shoot in Bendigo. The photos were for a new website my son is building for a Christian group in Bendigo. The shots were taken to suit a wide panoramic format that would have text on the right hand side. I was to capture the essence of inner city Bendigo with casual images of members of the group. Great people, easy to work with, a most enjoyable shoot.

Southern 80

I had a funeral in Echuca on Thursday so I stayed and made a long weekend out of it. The Southern 80 Ski Race was on so thought it would be a good chance to hone my skills in shooting fast moving objects. I mostly shoot with my 5D Mk II but this time I thought it would be good to put my little used 50D to the task. So I loaded it with my 70-200 f2.8L II set servo mode and was pleasantly surprised. I was able to track the fast moving boats with ease and the exposure was as close to perfect as one could expect. I think I actually took a good clean image of every competitor in the Saturday morning races. These are called “social” races for some reason, I don’t see anything social about being towed at such high speeds behind boats with thumping big motors, I think hitting the water at the speeds these boats were going would not be much different than hitting a brick wall. Editorial images and prints can be purchased here (link).

Meat Photography

IMG_0041

Had an unusual job a couple of weeks back, I was asked to photograph various meat cuts from a side of lamb. I have done a lot of product photography including food that has been cooked but not uncooked meat. First of all everything was kept cool with an esky and frozen cool packs, this kept the meat looking nice and fresh. I then had to make sure that the surface of the meat was clean as a lot of the cuts were cut with a meat saw and there were fragments of bone all over the surface of the various cuts. The best solution was a tooth brush, I just brushed the surface and the bone fragments were gone. The other problem was blood on the surface of various cuts, this was soaked up with paper towel. Once the cuts were cleaned up the problem was how to light them. I found out that meat is somewhat translucent so out with my opal acrylic so I could light the meat from below, I metered the light and after adding a couple of sheets of white poly to further diffuse the light I had a nice white background with a little light making it through the thinner cuts. I then added a couple of soft boxes and all was good. All in all I was very happy with the results and so was my client.

IMG_0018

IMG_0051